Getting Ready For School
As the summer starts to come to an end, fall is just around the corner, and so is your child’s first day at school.
As the summer starts to come to an end, fall is just around the corner, and so is your child’s first day at school. It can be a stressful time for both of you, but there are a few things that can help make it all go by smoothly. Here are some simple tips to make that first year of school easier on everybody.
- Get him ready. Explain everything to him, from what will happen on his first day, to what his typical schedule will be like.
- Listen to her. Encourage her to share her feelings and emotions, so that you can manage any potential problems.
- Get to know his school and teachers. Stop by a few times before school starts and get to know his teachers. The more you know, the more comfortable you will both be.
- Point out the positive aspects of school, like how fun it can be and how she will make new friends.
- Get her excited. Go on a trip together to buy the things she needs for school and let her pick her favoritecolors and items.
- Read to him. This will develop their intelligence and teach them to focus and pay attention.
- Teach her to use the toilet. Your child will get assistance if she needs it, but teaching her to do it by herself is probably better.
- Give him a token to remember you by. This will help them be less anxious on the first day. Check with your school if it’s OK first.
- Hold back your tears. If you cry, it will confuse and upset her. If you need to, say goodbye, then go cry somewhere she won’t be able to see you.
Help him make friends. Meet other parents, and set up play dates with other kids he seems to be getting along with.